My Favorites

My Tokyo Guide

See something interesting? Click on the heart button in the article to add a page from this site to My Favorites.


Main content starts here.

Updated: July 12, 2023

Tax Free Measures and Procedures (Consumption Tax Exemption)

Travelers to Japan can take advantage of special measures exempting them from paying consumption tax at department stores, home appliance stores, discount stores, and other retailers when certain procedures are followed.

Persons Eligible for Tax Exemption

The list of people eligible for tax exemption has changed as of April, 2023. The following people are now eligible: 

  • Foreign nationals who do not live in Japan (who have a "Temporary Visitor," "Diplomat," or "Official" status of residence, or who have been granted landing permission in Japan)
  • Japanese nationals who live overseas and are within six months of a temporary re-entry into Japan (who have lived overseas for over two years, and can show proof of address)

Articles Eligible for Tax Exemption

Purchases made on the same day at the same store totaling the amounts below

  1. General items where the total purchase amount of 5,000 yen or more per person per day at the same store
  2. Consumable items—food, beverages, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics—where the total purchase amount is between 5,000 yen and 500,000 yen per person per day at the same store

Tax Exemption Procedure

As of October 1, 2021, the procedures for tax exemption are now done online and the previous paperwork is no longer necessary

  1. When making a purchase, present your passport (copies are not accepted)
  2. The retailer will explain any details to be aware of regarding tax-exempt purchases
  3. Present your passport to the customs officer when leaving Japan

Stores Offering Tax Exemption Services

Stores with the tax-free logo
Eligibility details for tax exemption


Identity verification through the Visit Japan Web Service

Staff at tax-free stores can scan the 2D barcode displayed via the Visit Japan Web Service to receive passport information from visitors. Anyone from overseas with a "Temporary Visitor," "Diplomat," or "Official" status of residence can use this service.

Find Out More