Meiji Jingu Shrine

HOME > SEARCH SIGHTSEEING SPOTS > Meiji Jingu Shrine

Main content starts here.

[Notice on renovation work]
Haiden Hall is under construction from April 2017 to autumn 2019 (scheduled) for replacement of the copperplate shingles on shrine buildings.
Treasure Museum is closed from January 2017 for an indefinite period for restoration work on the roof and for seismic retrofitting required for preservation of the building designated an Important Cultural Property.
New Treasure Museum Annex (provisional name) is scheduled for completion in autumn 2019.

This shrine was established in 1920 as a dedication to the deified spirits of Emperor Meiji and the Empress Dowager. A forest covers the area of the shrine to the city. The one hundred thousand trees donated from people all over the country at the time of the shrine's establishment create this forest of the people.

This is the most popular shrine in Japan to pay the first shrine visit of the year.

Detailed information

Basic information

Address

1-1 Kamizono-cho Yoyogi

Shibuya-ku

Postal code:151-8557

Contact information

Name:Meiji Jingu Shrine Office

Telephone number:03-3379-5511

Website:http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/index.html (ENG) (External link)

Access

By car:Approximately 5 minutes from Tokyo Metropolitan Expressway Route 4, Shinjuku Line, Yoyogi Interchange.

By train:1 minute walk from JR Harajuku Station. 5 minutes by foot from Yoyogi Station. 1 minute walk from Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line and Fukutoshin Line Meiji-jingumae (Harajuku) Station. 5 minutes by foot from Odakyu Line Sangubashi Station.

Parking

Available

Cultural Properties

National Designated Cultural Properties |

Other services

Facility information

Toilet facilities available | Restaurant facilities |

Universal design

  • Automatic doors at entrance
  • Wheelchair ramp
  • Wheelchair lift
  • Urinal with handrail
  • Nursing room
  • Floor height difference in facility

Map information

SEARCH GO TOKYO